Friday, July 11, 2008

The Day You Joined Our Family

Michael - you were born on 12 April, 2001. You were the biggest of our babies weighing in at 8 lbs even. This first picture I really don't remember being taken. I am so pale because I lost A LOT of blood getting you here. I do remember being very, very weak and not being able to hold you for very long. This is your story of how you were born. Dad and I went to the hospital early on the 12th to be induced. Everything went well until you decided to be born. You were too big to fit in the birth canal. Therefore your blood pressure and mine dropped drastically. They almost lost both of us. This resulted in an immediate emergency c-section. The neat thing with this - and totally unconventional - I was able to watch. Dr. Bennett was pushing you back up the birth canal where you were stuck and Dr. Adamson was cutting me open to get you out. I remember you were blue. That's all I remember. Dad said they wouldn't let him come and see me for a very long time. He sat out in the foyer holding you just sobbing. I ended up receiving 4 units of red blood cells and 1 unit of plasma. My uterus also tore 2 inches or centimeters - I can't remember what the doctor said. Therefore - I shouldn't have any more babies he says. You were born at White Mountain Regional Medical Center in Springerville, Arizona. Shortly after you were born - they quit doing deliveries as they didn't have the staff needed for the facility.



The hospital had a really neat tradition. Any baby born there got to put a footprint on the wall. Boys in blue and girls in pink. The whole wall is covered in baby foot prints. Here Dad is putting your name by your fresh footprint with the date of your birth.
Your print is on the bottom right in the middle.
Your birth announcement in the local paper.

No comments: